Saratov Storage Tank Construction Works (JSC “STCW”) was founded in hard postwar time in 1947. Since then several generations of workers have changed each other, and every one has made its contribution to the works future.
Repair and engineering shops founded in autumn of 1945 on the basis of the order of head of the Main Aviation Construction Administration of NKVD of USSR L. Safrazyan were forerunner of CJSC “STCW”. These shops were required for timely repair of mechanisms used in constructing gas pipeline Saratov-Moscow. By that time the shops were used as repair plant with full process cycle and appropriate equipment.
In autumn of 1947 acting director of the repair and engineering shops separated the shops as an independent enterprise. It was decided in Moscow that the shops have to be included into the Administration of repair and engineering works of Glavneftegazstroy at the Council of Ministers of USSR.
On December 13, 1947 L. Safrazyan signed the order to reorganize the repair and engineering shops into the Repair and engineering works with Georgy Pavlovich Petelin approved as a director.
Georgy Pavlovich Petelin has made inestimable contribution into the first and subsequent success of the works. On the one hand, he was a typical representative of his generation, communist, fighter for implementing party decisions. He enjoyed great authority due to his personal characteristics, attitude to people and care of them. He has been the director for 30 years since the date of the works foundation. In the mid fifties launching the production of tank metal structures began. At first the new product amount was insignificant, and no one could expect that it will be the beginning of a new era of the works history. So many prevailing trends of production changed one another.
For more than 25 years the works history has been inseparably linked with its first director G. P. Petelin. On October 25, 1973 Konstantin Georgievich Fedotov was appointed by the local party bodies to hold this position. Fedotov paid much attention to efficient use of production areas, introduction of new equipment and advanced technologies. Competent specialists were appointed to supervise work discipline and maintaining work places in order in the shops and departments. Well adjusted mechanism operated impeccably. Fedotov has directed the works for 6 years.
In 1979 the regional committee of CPSU appointed Nikolay Georgievich Maraev to the director post. He had previously worked at the plant “Serp i Molot” having advanced from a metalworker to a deputy shop head, then was elected a party committee secretary and was a director of the plant “Udarnik” in Atkarsk. For several years N. Maraev has been continually elected a deputy, and a member of the district and city committee of CPSU. He has arranged construction of the block of flats on Guselskaya Street and a canteen for employees.
In summer of 1984 Alexander Semenovich Saratovsky became the director of the works. He opened a new era of innovations and reforms. He together with his associates has completely changed or upgraded the machinery and equipment and introduced advance techniques. For the first time he raised a question of the works product capability to be competitive as compared to the foreign analogs to gain position on the international market. The works employees’ victory was issue of a certificate under “Lloyd’s Register Industry Division Quality Scheme” in 1991. This certificate confirmed compliance of the works quality management system with the international standard ISO 9001:1987. It was Alexander Saratovsky who due to his energy and persistence has arranged transfer of the works from the association “Soyuzstalkonstruktsiya” to “Koksokhimmontazh”.
He became one of the first directors in Saratov region who together with like-minded specialists from “Koksokhimmontazh” reorganized the works into a joint-stock company with stock buyout by the employees. It allowed developing a new trend of the works activities – turnkey installation of tanks. A. Saratovsky has introduced highly efficient methods of metal structures fabrication: billet milling instead of planning, two-arc automatic welding, semi-automatic argon and CO2-shielded welding, fabrication of shell panels 18-21 m high with previous reconstruction of stands No. 5 and 6, and advanced stagger technique of tank shell panel assembly and welding meeting the requirements of the American Petroleum Institute. For the first time in Russia the first prototype tank was fabricated at our plant and installed at the Uvek petroleum storage depot of Saratov. Not without reason A. Saratovsky was granted a title “Honoured Inventor of USSR”.
When directed by A. Saratovsky the works considerably increased its authority on the regional, Russian and international levels.
In May, 1998 the board of directors made a decision to impose obligations of the Director General of CJSC “STCW” on Nikolay Mikhaylovich Krasnov who had previously been its Chief Engineer and vice–president.
Under his direction the unique metal structures for isothermal stainless steel tank were fabricated. With him being a director the quality management system standards were reissued and all the requirements were revised to achieve compliance with the international standard ISO 9001 and GOST R ISO 9001. Based on the outcome of 1998 and 1999 the company was awarded diplomas “The Biggest Exporter of Saratov Region”. In 2000 the Chamber of Industry and Commerce of RF granted a diploma to CJSC “STCW” for achievements in foreign economic activity for the benefit of Russia.
The next stage and further development of JSC “STCW” are directly linked with the name of Andrey Borisovich Novitsky who became the Director General on May 19, 2000. He created a competent like-minded team whose main aim was increasing welfare of each company employee. Under A. Novitsky the quality management system was certified by the specialists of the American Petroleum Institute as complying with API Spec Q1, the permission for application issued by Gospromnadzor of Belarus was obtained for the first time.